Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Type adds dramatic effect

Chapter 12 discusses the designing for motion, broadcasting and broadband. Often the commercials you see on television come in multiple time frames and can be viewed on the web. One commercial shot can be used for a variety of medias. I typically do not watch television with commercials, I’ve bought into new technology and finds to watch my favorite shows and avoid all those commercials. If I am watching live tv and stop for a commercial it must be fairly catching for me to stop. Similarly I find that men are notorious for switching during commercials. “Why watch a commercial when I can watch that other game that’s on?” Which makes sports commercial even more difficult to get viewers to watch. One of my favorite commercials/campaign is NHL History will be made. I can tell this commercial in particular was effective when my father (who always watches golf during commercials) stopped to watch this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujaqq8GzXXc&NR=1

The commercial uses previously recorded home movies of to tell a story. Also, their use of small text is well used to guide the story form beginning, middle and end. The type works well between motion and heightens the dramatic effect of the commercial.

2 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome example of a commercial that captures your attention. Its so true about how you mentioned sports commercials are difficult to get viewers to watch because of how their attention get drawn to the other game thats on. I think that the example of the commercial you picked really applies to all types of audiences which I think is really cool. It captures both male and female attention and it almost makes you relate to the commercial as well. great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously think hockey has the best commercials around. The great thing about this series, too, is that they keep them current. When something awesome happens in a game, it's practically the next game when they're showing the commercial featuring that previous play! It's fun because it's a mixture of really old and memorable games and newer and still freshly exciting games.

    Here is one that is particularly relevant to tonight's Game 7 with the Chicago Blackhawks...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfoLlWxyjtk

    ReplyDelete