Saturday, April 23, 2011

Text as Image

I was really interested in the aspect of typography and design. I myself have always had a particular passion for typography and feel that using words as an image to portray an idea is an exceptionally unique way of advertising. I have found that most advertisements that speak out to me are those that involve type but use it in an unexpected way. This is especially important when advertising that one grabs the attention of their audience and especially in a way that is memorable. Most ads include text and image together but I feel that it is rare to see the text becoming the image and overall being the attention grabber of the entire ad. This is relevant to my life wanting a career in producing ads or designing layouts for magazines because I feel the more use you can get out of the type that you are working with the better. It is important to create an overall balance through the ad and sometimes using both text and image together can be overpowering in an ad. One must note that these two need to work together and not against each other in order to create a successful ad. This type can be seen in the ad produced shown here by Paula Scher.

4 comments:

  1. you're right. I recently remember reading in Chapter 11 about grabbing and keeping a viewer's attention. It's so important, especially with print media!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Paula Scher example that you posted. It is effective at getting the target audience's attention. In my opinion, Scher has created many designs that successfully pull off the advertising/designing tips that our "Advertising by Design" book gives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your image! Touloose Lautrec's rich and dainty style is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that usign text in a dynamic way like this does certainly grab attention. I think it's in the vain of David Carson in the sense that it isn't mean to be read completely, as I glance it it for a few seconds I find myself not wanting to finish reading it, which makes me think the ad may have been done like this intentionally

    ReplyDelete